Guaranteed equal justice for all.
To secure an equitable justice system and ensure high quality legal representation for people facing loss of liberty.
Our Common Principles
FPDA is community of Public Defenders united around the following common priorities and principles:
- The Association shall work to ensure a justice system that is just, fair, and merciful;
- The Public Defenders of Florida shall work to ensure that each circuit has the resources necessary to fulfill our constitutional mission of providing competent and effective representation of indigent persons;
- Caseload levels for attorneys should be reasonable; and
- All Assistant Public Defenders and staff should have the ability and acumen to provide competent and ethical representation.
Our Key Priorities, 2015-2018
- To increase and stabilize funding for the Florida Public Defenders in order to improve the quality of indigent defense services.
- To engage and serve our members by providing education and services promoting the professional growth of the Public Defenders and their staff.
- To advocate for improvement to our justice system.
- To promote awareness of the Florida Public Defenders and strengthen alliances to accomplish our mission.
- To continue building and strengthening the organization for the future.
Executive Director: Fran Gilbert, CAE
Bookkeeper: Kathy Clark
Training Coordinator: Sonya Stanley
Street Address: 103 N. Gadsden St., Tallahassee, FL 32301
Phone: (850) 488 - 6850
Fax: (850) 488 - 4720
Bruce Miller, First Circuit (Treasurer)
Andy Thomas, Second Circuit
Blair Payne, Third Circuit
Charles Cofer, Fourth Circuit
Mike Graves, Fifth Circuit
Bob H. Dillinger, Sixth Circuit (President)
James S. Purdy, Seventh Circuit
Stacy A. Scott, Eighth Circuit (Secretary)
H. Rex Dimmig, Tenth Circuit (Vice-President)
Carlos J. Martinez, Eleventh Circuit
Larry L. Eger, Twelfth Circuit
Julianne M. Holt, Thirteenth Circuit
Mark Sims, Fourteenth Circuit
Carey Haughwout, Fifteenth Circuit (President-Elect)
Robert Lockwood, Sixteenth Circuit
Howard Finkelstein, Seventeenth Circuit
Blaise Trettis, Eighteenth Circuit
Diamond R. Litty, Nineteenth Circuit
Kathleen A. Smith, Twentieth Circuit
ASSOCIATE BOARD MEMBERS
Chris Ellrich, Investigator, Second Circuit
Montez Carter, Support Staff, Eighth Circuit
Peter Mills, Assistant Public Defender, Tenth Circuit
June Garcia, Administrator, Fourteenth Circuit
INTERIM EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR